Saturday, April 12, 2008

What's on the Menu?

Several of you have asked what I eat every day. Most days, I eat breakfast in the mess, which is basically a table and a few chairs where Sister Ji (one of the ladies who works here) prepares 3 meals a day. Here's a picture of what was served this morning. Subje (any sort of cooked vegetable dish…for breakfast it is a combination of eggplant, potato, and some other vegetable that I do not recognize) and roti (a flatbread…sort of like a wheat tortilla) are served for breakfast daily.

I eat lunch with the P's every day. We get food from the mess…usually rice, dahl (a lentil broth), salad (a plate of raw beets, cucumbers, carrots, tomatoes, and onions), and more subje and roti. About once a week there may be some fish or chicken, but it's not quite what we would have in the states. Maybe I could help you picture it more if you could envision a fish eyeball staring up at you from a pot of broth. It tastes pretty good though…I just can't eat the one's with their eyeballs still in!

For dinner, I also eat with the P's. S cooks every night, and I help with preparation or sometimes keep the kids occupied so that she can cook. Most nights we eat Indian dishes. Last night we had an eggplant-tomato-onion subje, rice, and a dish with boiled eggs and curry.

I've gotten fairly used to the food although I have been craving lasagna for a few weeks now. There's really not any cheese available here and definitely no beef! However, we did have the first of the mangos for dessert today, and they were so good! A.G. loves to eat the mango off of the seed and let the juice dribble down her chin! After she had eaten ever last bit off of the seed she kept repeating, "I need some more! I need some more!" while S and D tried to explain to her that the mangoes were "all done."

I can hardly believe that I've only got 3 or 4 more days here before I start my long travel back home. Please pray that I will use these last few days to their fullest and that the Lord would continue to give me clarity and wisdom. Thank you for your faithful prayers!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Lasagne . . . coming up! Love, Mom