Monday, April 14, 2008

If I had my druthers

Well, today has not exactly gone as planned. We could not go visit S's friend Madhumita today because there is some sort of Hindu festival going on today in which swords are involved! D said that we should be able to go tomorrow, but today is just too dangerous. If I'd had my druthers, the morning would have gone a bit differently. However, as they always are, the Lord's ways were higher than ours. The three girls that S disciples came by during the time when we would have otherwise been out at Madhumita's. S really hasn't had a chance to sit down with them since we've come back and they are really facing some difficult things.

These are the 15-year-old girls I have mentioned before. Pummi, who is married, has told her family that she is a Christian and is undergoing persecution daily when she is with them. Guddi, who has just gotten married, has not yet told her family because she says she is embarrassed. It's difficult for us to understand what this means for her…parents don't really have conversations with their children here. No one can come sit down on the couch and say, "Hey, dad, I need to talk with you about something for a minute." This would be just unheard of. Pray that she will have wisdom and boldness to tell her family of her faith in Christ. S shared with her of how if we are not ashamed of Christ before others, Christ will not be ashamed of us before the Father. There were several times when all of the girls had their heads down and just seemed so heavy of heart, desirous of following Christ yet fearful of the consequences at the same time.

But perhaps I should most implore your prayers for little Neyna. She is a very timid girl, only about 15 years old, and she is engaged to be married to a Hindu man on April 20th. She has not yet told her family or his family that she is a believer and does not want to marry this boy. After S shared some scripture with her and they all prayed, Neyna said that she would tell her family today. Please pray for her to boldly stand up in the name of Christ no matter what it means. S said that these situations can easily turn into riots when the family hears that she has converted and that the mission has had a hand in it. It can mean persecution and violence not only for little Neyna but for the P's and others here as well. Please pray for the Lord's protection over us all during this time, but mostly pray for Neyna to have such an unwavering faith in the Lord that she fears Him alone. May we all druther have Christ than anything this world affords today.

I'd rather have Jesus than silver or gold,
I'd rather be His than have riches untold;
I'd rather have Jesus than houses or lands,
I'd rather be led by his nail-pierced hands.

Than to be a king of a vast domain
Or be held in sin's dread sway
I'd rather have Jesus than anything
This world affords today.

I'd rather have Jesus than men's applause,
I'd rather be faithful to His dear cause;
I'd rather have Jesus than worldwide fame,
I'd rather be true to His holy name.

Than to be a king of a vast domain
Or be held in sin's dread sway
I'd rather have Jesus than anything
This world affords today.

"I'd Rather Have Jesus," lyrics by Jeff Deyo


AG, S, Neyna, Pummi, Guddi, and Sunita

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praying! LC

cjsmomx6 said...

Thanks soooo much for these amazing posts. I especially love the video of house church. I love the updates about the girls and all the details. It makes it easier to pray.
which I will. Let me know when you will be arriving in the states. I would love to try and come meet you at the airport. Send my love to the p's
janet