Friday, January 29, 2010

How do you do it?

Okay, I'm wanting some input on marking up my new Bible. I recently purchased an ESV single-column reference Bible, which I love. The only think I don't love about it is the pages are rather thin and require some special pens in order not to bleed through. I have black, pink, orange, red, blue, purple, yellow, and green fine-tip pens. I have used various Bible-marking methods in the past, but a lot of them included a highlighter, which this particular Bible will not tolerate. How do you guys mark your Bibles...colors, symbols, just notes, etc? I'm all ears!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Well, this may not be helpful. I used to do some inductive studies and I have a separate Bible that I used to do those. That one has colors and symbols in it.

In the Bible I carry to church, I just underline in whatever pen I have handy. And in the main Bible I use for daily reading, I have had it so long that there are a bunch of different markings in it.

I do think colors are very helpful and I have heard of people who like to study particular topics (like marriage, for example) will underline all passages about that topic in a particular color so they can easily flip through their Bible and find passages about that topic.

I have a great multi-color pencil that will work with your pages. It's the size of a pen but you can put 8 (I think) colors in it and the markings are somewhere between a colored pencil and a crayon. Pentel makes it and you can find them at Lifeway. They're kind of expensive but I really like mine. Let me know if you want more info about that.

Emily said...

yes. if you want color, then colored pencils are the way to go.

Gina said...

My sister gave me a highlighting pencil in my Christmas stocking one year and I use that. Love it. But I think any colored pencils would work (like the Crayola Twistables...let me know if you want to see them some Sunday in church, my girls carry theirs with them)