Thursday, May 15, 2008

A Return to the Simple Things

Being back in the hustle and bustle of the States is such a stark contrast to India. While I was always busy in India the pace was just different. Everyone takes a break for an hour or two at lunch because of the heat of the day. Life is crazy difficult but at the same time sweetly simple. When I saw this ladder made out of bamboo, sticks, and wire, I was reminded of how simple things are there.

Last night at the hospital, I took a boy down to the morgue in a body bag. He had just gone to his prom the night before he came to the hospital. From the time I received him from surgery until the time he died, he received the maximum amount of medical intervention I think that I have ever seen, and yet the Lord had appointed his day to end on May 14, 2008.

It is such a comfort to know that the Lord is sovereign over every one of our days and already know the number of them. It reminds me of how important it is to live each day for His glory because we do not know how He has sovereignly numbered our days. "So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom." (Psalm 90:12). Though life here on this earth can be crazy and demanding, our task is simple. "But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 3:13-14). May we strain forward on this numbered day.

3 comments:

cjsmomx6 said...

WOW, thank the Lord that you know HIm and that HE is sovereign or how else could you do what you do? I am thankful that there are people like you in those situtations.

cara said...

I'm coming to visit you this summer for a couple days. Not sure when yet, but start looking at your calendar. Early June or Early July.

Becky Arnold said...

Hey girl, I have enjoyed reading your blog. It helps to bring perspective to this crazy world. Would you like to help me oversee a Bible study this summer? It would be the current graduates leading a study for the current 10-11th graders. We would just be there to oversee and answer any questions that come up. Would you like to help me? If so, let's talk tomorrow night. Also, if you have any suggestions for books, let me know. We can set the time/day/how often we meet for whatever works for us. Just let me know your thoughts.

I'll look for you tomorrow night.